Sunday, October 16, 2016

The Selection 1 - Kiera Cass

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor the selectionAfbeeldingsresultaat voor de selectie

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.


Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

Cover
I am really glad I didn't read this on the internet and get it in my library. Cause wow, this cover is so beautiful. The dress, the blue, just plain gorgeous. It really gives off this royal feel, which is a big thing in a books as well and I love that. I love books which covers give off the book's content. 

America Singer (-_-)
Really? America Singer? Apart from someone being named after a country/continent, did the author really have to make her a singer? And did the country she was named after, have to be the country where IllĂ©a (America in the future) is now? 
She seemed like a very nice and down-to-earth person. She did whine a bit in my eyes. Saying stuff like: 'I only have a few dresses.' And she thought it was okay to have two boyfriends without telling them?
My friend told me she was going to annoy me in the second book, so I'm really looking forward to that haha.

Prince Maxon
I don't really know what to think. I don't know him that well yet. I feel like there's a lot I need to know before I can make assumptions. He seemed very humble and down-to-earth to me. He has respect for women, but is shy and doesn't know how to act around them. America and him become friends and she teaches him how to act around the 35 women (then 32?). Problem is, he is unable to feel anything for the other women, and starts feeling something for America. I love the way he handles his feelings, Maxon is so gentle and well-mannered. I feel bad for the fact that America doesn't like him that much yet. 

Aspen
HKJHKJLDHmxncmms. WHY. One way it was interesting to see America being together with a 'normal' person, but I want her to be with Maxon ajhc mdjab. I don't really like Aspen, but it made the book more interesting and I'd like to find out more about him and his family.
There's this 'Romeo and Juliet' feel about him and America. Because Aspen is a caste 6, she can't be with him. Which makes me wonder, why doesn't she just pair with Maxon and skip all the stupid drama?

The royal family
The royal family was seriously interesting. Apart from the king and his relationship with his son, there was also the queen. There's a lot about her that's still unknown and I'd love to see more of her. How she wanted to have children but wasn't able to, where she came from (she's a caste 5, just like America), what her opinions are, her own family. I'm glad there is a novella written about her, because she seems really interesting. 
The king though, he didn't let his son say a thing, he pushed his son into doing things. I'm sure he meant well, but I didn't really like the king. 

 The other 34 girls
34 girls, of course you'd have different personalities. The ones that got talked about mostly were Marlee, Celeste and Kriss. Marlee was nice, but kind of mysterious and I feel like she has a big secret, maybe about her family at home. Celeste, however, was an entirely different thing. Who did she think she was? Why did Maxon stand up for her? Have they met before? Let's just say Celeste is the stereotypical bitch in The Selection. 
Kriss seemed sweet and interesting. She wasn't that important, but I'm glad there was someone I seriously liked. 

The second book 
I'M SO EXCITED TO READ THE SECOND BOOK. I do not regret finally starting this series. It wasn't that long either, so that was great too, I love books that are fairly small. 
What kept me reading too, was the North and South thing. I'm not going to say anything more about that, so you might be confused, but I'd really like to know more about that. Definitely picking up the second book once I go to the library again!

Overall, this book was pretty great apart from some small things. I would definitely recommend this series to friends who like books with royalty. 
4,5/5 stars from me!



Title: The Selection
Author: Kiera Cass
Series: The Selection (book 1)

Dominique 
(I've been so incredibly busy with school lately, I didn't get any time to read, sorry, but book life next week!)



No comments:

Post a Comment