Saturday, July 15, 2017

Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda - Becky Albertalli

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor simon vs the homosapien agenda nederlands19547856


Sixteen-year-old and not-so-openly gay Simon Spier prefers to save his drama for the school musical. But when an email falls into the wrong hands, his secret is at risk of being thrust into the spotlight. Now Simon is actually being blackmailed: if he doesn’t play wingman for class clown Martin, his sexual identity will become everyone’s business. Worse, the privacy of Blue, the pen name of the boy he’s been emailing, will be compromised.

With some messy dynamics emerging in his once tight-knit group of friends, and his email correspondence with Blue growing more flirtatious every day, Simon’s junior year has suddenly gotten all kinds of complicated. Now, change-averse Simon has to find a way to step out of his comfort zone before he’s pushed out—without alienating his friends, compromising himself, or fumbling a shot at happiness with the most confusing, adorable guy he’s never met.

Cover
There are not many special things on this cover. I absolutely adore the left cover, but the right cover is something I don't really understand. Yes, Blue and Simon communicate without knowing what the other looks like, but the cover is just not that pretty.

Simon
What a lovely character! He was so funny and cute and awh, I just really love this 
precious baby. I am a person who has always been very interested in the LGBT community, maybe because I am bisexual, but I just really enjoyed his jokes about homosexuality, It was great being able to see his thoughts and I loved every bit of Simon. (GAAAAaaaaay (his words, not mine).

Blue
The reveal was honestly a bit of a disappointment? I mean, I loved it and Simon deserved it, but I had hoped it'd be maybe a little more dramatic. Anyway, over the course of this book, the only thing I could think about was Blue. It was so incredibly stressful that I had to read more and more and more. 'It couldn't be him', was what I told myself all the time. Aargh, it's such a good book.

Leah, Nick, Abby
Lovely side characters. Even though there was a little love triangle, it didn't bother me too much. Leah was my actual favourite person, and Abby too. That's quite weird, cause they are so different, but they are very likeable characters. I loved the little anime mentions, because I watch anime as well. 
Nick was the only person who bothered me a little. Yes, of course Martin did too, and all the other homophobes, but he was not the worst. Nick was not very likeable, he was just a side-character. I really wish that Leah and Nick would have gotten together, because I thought that Leah deserved so much more. Nick was a great friend anyway, but not that distinctive.

All with all, I really, really loved this book. The coming-out scene was also so funny. I just love this book. It's pretty underrated actually. I would really recommend this to anyone with a love for contemporary and LGBT-themed books. AH, I just loved this. 5/5 stars.

Dominique



No comments:

Post a Comment