Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Paper Towns - John Green



Who is the real Margo?
Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs into his life—dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge—he follows. After their all-nighter ends, and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues—and they're for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew..

Cover
The cover wasn't really special, but these books are pretty realistic so I thought it fitted the book well. It has something to do with the book, but it doesn't give off everything.

Quentin and his imagination
Man, I was so annoyed. Quentin was like obsessed with Margo Roth Spiegelman. And, he didn't even know her that well? He was so in love with this idea of her, that he was blind to everything else and the real version of her. He spends all his time on finding her that he kind of neglects his friends. He doesn't want to go to prom, and doesn't even want to go to graduation just so he can find Margo. I don't know why, but I don't understand his obsession with her? At one point he was so in love he wasn't able to live properly and he spent his ENTIRE LIFE ON MARGO. It annoyed the hell out of me.

Margo Roth Spiegelman the bitch
I don't think I've ever been so annoyed at a main character (who wasn't meant as a villain or anything bad). Like, seriously, who leaves for a month without telling anyone and leaving everyone wanting to find her, but when she's found she doesn't even look up and doesn't give two fucks? Okay, she might have been through a lot, but that doesn't make up that she can just not care about anyone's feelings? She constantly plays with people's feelings, like they're dolls she can play with. 

Part 2
The book was divided into parts. With Part 1: Margo still being there and taking her revenge on the people that have been dicks to her, part 2: Quentin thinking about where she is and Part 3: Where they go looking for her/find her. Part 1 was full of action and was actually a good intro to the book, and Part 3 was where the climax was and all the secrets were revealed. But Part 2 was the same, over and over again. Just Quentin doing everything to find her, and that for about 100 pages. It was honestly so boring and it took me so long to get through that part cause I was just really bored. 

John Green's humor
Honestly, John Green's humor was one of the few things that kept me interested in the book, apart from the fact I wanted to know what the hell was up with Margo. Its kind of vulgar, and there are also sex jokes, but I can really appreciate good humor in a book. Like Radar's background and Ben, oh my god Ben, he's amazing. 

Message
I feel like the book really focused on the fact that you can be in love with a person, or you can be in love with the idea of a person. Love is blind, and when you're in love with a person you can only see the good things about that person, and you start ignoring everything else. It also shows that teen's sometimes want to get out of their daily routine. Not everything is about studying and school, and mental health problems are sometimes way more important. 

Overall, I think the message was good and it was really well written, but I don't think I'll ever read it again. I love that there are so many opinions on Margo, and everyone experiences her differently, but I honestly have no pity for her at all. 2,5/5 stars cause the ending was such a pity.

Title: Paper Towns
Author: John Green
Publisher: Speak
Price (Paperback): $7,99
Pages (Paperback): 305


Dominique 
(there's a part of my booklife coming next week and after that I'm on holiday)

No comments:

Post a Comment