Friday, May 5, 2017

The Iron Fey: Call Of The Forgotten, The Iron Traitor - Julie Kagawa

15811405De duistere fae


In the real world, when you vanish into thin air for a week, people tend to notice. 

After his unexpected journey into the lands of the fey, Ethan Chase just wants to get back to normal. Well, as "normal" as you can be when you see faeries every day of your life. Suddenly the former loner with the bad reputation has someone to try for-his girlfriend, Kenzie. Never mind that he's forbidden to see her again. 

But when your name is Ethan Chase and your sister is one of the most powerful faeries in the Nevernever, "normal" simply isn't to be. For Ethan's nephew, Keirran, is missing, and may be on the verge of doing something unthinkable in the name of saving his own love. Something that will fracture the human and faery worlds forever, and give rise to the dangerous fey known as the Forgotten. As Ethan's and Keirran's fates entwine and Keirran slips further into darkness, Ethan's next choice may decide the fate of them all.


Cover
First of all, this cover is so beautiful. It's so fantasy-ish and just makes me want to dive into the land of the fae. Silver eyes and hair make it kind of mysterious, and the font also totally gives off this feel. I love these series' covers. 

A mature Ethan Chase 
In the first book, I saw Ethan as a child with an undying love for his girlfriend, blah blah blah. But during the course of this book, I started to see him as a grown-up man who shared a love for his family also. His love for his family is so big he even tries to help Keirran, his nephew, in his darkest times. I think Ethan is one of the most strong and realistic characters I've had in books, Julie truly is a great writer.

Keirran a.k.a AARGH
I.HATE.HIM. I don't think I've ever felt so frustrated with a non-villain. Throughout the entire book, I could feel there was something wrong with him. In the end, I got proof. Man, I can't deal with him. Even writing about him makes me feel so annoyed. The only thing that makes him human (since he's half-fae) is his love for Annwyl. 

Ethan and Keirran's love parallel
Ethan loves Kenzie, but knows it might not take long until she dies of her cancer and he wants to protect her at all costs. Keirran loves Annwyl and knows it might not take long until she fades away (she's one of the forgotten fae, which means human's don't remember her and she might fade away if she doesn't get back in NeverNever in time), but will still do anything to protect her, even give his own life. I just thought this was so nicely done, comparing human love to fae love, both in their unique ways. 

Storyline
I do have to say it was a little bit hard to get into for me, but the action started faster than in the first book. It was so nice to hear from Meghan again, since she is my actual favorite female character. Although Puck, Meghan and Ash returned in this book, they didn't get a storyline, which was actually great, since it's not their story. The amount of appearance was just right. The characters were really well written, although I wanted more NeverNever moments in the book, since almost everything happened in Between (seriously, where's Leanansidhe?). I did get the feeling this book could just as well have been a novella, since it focused on Annwyl SO MUCH. They didn't really talk about Kenzie apart from the beginning and the end, you only got Ethan whining over her needing to be safe. 

Ending
Throughout the entire book, there was this build-up to the end, where you could finally see what is actually going on. The ending was such a big cliffhanger, but it was also kind of weak. I just got the feeling this whole book is actually useless. Like, they spend so much time on a way of trying to save Annwyl, and at the end it seems like nothing really changed.

Overall, the Iron Fey books are beautifully written and gorgeous, but this book didn't really grab my attention. I guess I like the first book in the sequel series more, although this is still so amazing and these book series are truly underrated. 4/5 stars for me since it wasn't as powerful.



Title: The Iron Traitor
Author: Julie Kagawa
Series: The Iron Fey: Call Of The Forgotten (book 2)
Publisher: Harleuin Teen
Price (Paperback): $8,99
Pages (Paperback): 352

Dominique 
(Paper Towns review next week!)


No comments:

Post a Comment