Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Everything Everything - Nicola Yoon

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor everything everythingAfbeeldingsresultaat voor everything everything cover


My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.

Cover
This cover is gorgeous. Wow. I actually love this cover so much, it fits the book perfectly because it has something to do with her not being able to see the world and yes, this is just great to have on your shelf.

Madeline (the main character)
I have mixed feelings about her. I feel like I needed more time with her, because while we were in her head all the time, I didn't really feel with her. She definitely isn't whiny and she's cool, but not a favorite character. Something I have to add though, props to the person who decided to make her Asian-African, there are almost no characters with such an ethnicity, and I hope Asian-Africans are able to recognize themselves in her. 
Small problem I had with Madeline: why did she not search up her condition? It would have made what happened in the end occur way earlier.

Olly...
Well, okay, he was all right. He was willing to do a lot for Madeline, which was sweet. He definitely wasn't a bad buy, besides the obvious YA 'black clothes' he wears. And of course he had to have a few daddy-issues as well. Yes, having a abusive father is definitely interesting and is a sensitive topic for a lot of people, but it felt a bit expected for the dad to one day hit him and his mom and stuff, I was basically just waiting for it to happen.

Writing style
How cool was this? There were notes in this book, like plane tickets, letters and drawings. It was so cool and so fresh, I really enjoyed those things. Even though the chapters were like 50-words-long sometimes, this was also enjoyable and made way for me to fly through this book, I finished this in less than 24 hours. The chatting was also quite enjoyable, although I did find Olly's grammar annoying. 

The ending
The ending was so abrupt, it just ended so weirdly and I really wanted to see more, to see Olly's reaction. It was really rushed as well, and so YA-ish. I really wanted to see a solution to her sickness, but instead we got that. It's not that I didn't like this book. I really did, but the ending was just not the best. '

I am really looking forward to watching the movie, I'm probably gonna see it when it is in the cinemas, and that's partly because Amandla Stenberg is in it, not going to lie. 
Anyway, this book was good but it didn't impress me, while the writing style was new and fresh, the book's story was nothing I hadn't read before. 4/5 stars.

 Trailer for the movie

Dominique





No comments:

Post a Comment