Monday, May 8, 2017

Percy Jackson and The Olympians 4: Battle of the Labyrinth - Rick Riordan

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor battle of the labyrinthAfbeeldingsresultaat voor battle of the labyrinth


Percy Jackson isn't expecting freshman orientation to be any fun. But when a mysterious mortal acquaintance appears at his potential new school, followed by demon cheerleaders, things quickly move from bad to worse.

In this fourth installment of the blockbuster series, time is running out as war between the Olympians and the evil Titan lord Kronos draws near. Even the safe haven of Camp Half-Blood grows more vulnerable by the minute as Kronos's army prepares to invade its once impenetrable borders. To stop the invasion, Percy and his demigod friends must set out on a quest through the Labyrinth - a sprawling underground world with stunning surprises at every turn.

Cover
Pretty cover, but just not my thing (right). These books are relatively old though, and covers have evolved since then, so it's acceptable. The covers always have something in them that also occurs in the books, so that's fun.

Percy
My lovely Percy. I can't tell you all how much I love him. He's just such a sweetheart, and oblivious sweetheart, yes, but still one of the coolest heroes I know. I am not going to lie and say he doesn't annoy me sometimes and that the choices he makes aren't always the best, but he is still smart and such a funny character.

Annabeth
In my last review I said that she annoyed me and she was getting more and more irritating. I still believe this, but I am starting to like her again. Although her jealousy (of Rachel) is so unnecessary, her wisdom and Percy's bravery just work really well together. I really, really wish to see them together. 


Rachel
Yes! She could easily be one of my favourite characters in the series. She is a mortal, but she is able to achieve and do so much because her courage. I also love that she has secrets surrounding her family and that she definitely isn't perfect. I believe that she will play a great role someday, maybe in the fifth book.


Luke/Kronos
So interesting. Honestly, I don't believe there's still a chance for Luke to be his old self again. Luke is probably going to die in the last book and it will be one of those tragic deaths that will make me cry. Before he dies, though, I am really interested in his family and I'd like to see some backstory. I'd love to learn more about his relationship with his dad (Hermes). It bugs me how Annabeth is still - obviously - in love with him. I really want him to die, but I also don't ? 


Other, new creatures
To be honest, I had no idea who Daedalus was before I read this book, but I really loved the addition of him. The Labyrinth was really interesting, although I expected more of it and I got bored during some chapters. Chapters I loved, however, were the ones with Calypso. She is so interesting and lovely, and she really doesn't deserve all the hard things she's been through. I hope to see her again.


The ending was great. I didn't really fly through this book, which was kind of a bummer, because I really loved the Titan's Curse. This is my least favourite book in the series, which is why I give it 4/5 stars.



Dominique

No comments:

Post a Comment