Thursday, May 4, 2017

The Selection 4: The Heir - Kiera Cass

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor the heirAfbeeldingsresultaat voor de prinses


Princess Eadlyn has grown up hearing endless stories about how her mother and father met. Twenty years ago, America Singer entered the Selection and won the heart of Prince Maxon—and they lived happily ever after. Eadlyn has always found their fairy-tale story romantic, but she has no interest in trying to repeat it. If it were up to her, she'd put off marriage for as long as possible.

Eadlyn doesn't expect her story to end in romance. But as the competition begins, one entry may just capture Eadlyn's heart, showing her all the possibilities that lie in front of her . . . and proving that finding her own happily ever after isn't as impossible as she's always thought. 

Cover
Beautiful, beautiful cover, as always. I love these covers so much, they're so dreamy and feminine, completely my style and it catches people's eyes really easily. They're also really fitting for the theme of the books. Cover

Eadlyn...
To say it discreetly, she wasn't the most humble character I've read about. Actually, she was a bitch. I couldn't believe the things she thought about doing to the Selected! I know that she has to have a cold side to be a great queen, but she isn't even a queen yet and for her to be mean to other people is just horrible. She is egocentric and plain mean. 'I am the most powerful person in the world.' Yes, you might be, but that doesn't give you the right to order your friends and family around. She humiliates the Selected on national tv, she swears at a young girl because the young girl wants to be just like her and so on. She does have some character development throughout the book, but I didn't like her attitude at all.

Eadlyn's family (Royal Family)
Like most spin-off series, writers try to include the characters of the prequel and it just doesn't feel right. America still had most of the things she used to have, but Maxon changed and that made me uncomfortable. I guess that was just me, and I know that these books are about Eadlyn and not about them, but I just missed them.
Eadlyn's brothers were more interesting than her to be honest. Ahren and his love-interest Camille deserved way more input in this book. First Eadlyn tells us that she relies on her brother a lot, but we don't even see that a lot. Her younger brother Kaden is way smarter and he would be a better leader than her. Osten is funny and he seems like a sweetheart even though he's ten. I don't know, Eadlyn should have been nicer, because while I know that the writer did this to make us pity her, I did not.

The Selected (mostly Kile, Henri and Erik)
Of course, because the Selected were boys, there had to be a rapist. I'm sorry, I do not wish for this to sound offensive, but they should have checked every Selected and they should not just apologise afterwards. But all right, I kind of liked these Selected. I mean, Eadlyn had a lot of chemistry with both Kile and Henri. But while I was scrolling the internet, I searched up for some spoilers to see if the one I thought was going to become prince was going to become prince, and then I realized that he wasn't. I really wanted to stop reading because of that. I really don't see them together, and I have a strong feeling that their relationship in the next book is going to feel very rushed. I am open to see them together though and I really want to like them together.
However, there is one thing that I really don't like. Where are the balls, the assignments and the parties we got during the first three books? This one mostly consisted out of forced appointments between Eadlyn and a Selected. I really hope that The Crown will be more spectacular and more like the first three books.

These books are so easy to read. The words are easy and the books are not that sad. I feel like beginner-readers could really enjoy these books, and they could be some light readings for more advanced readers. As a hopeless romantic, I have a weakness for sappy books like these. And although I hate the main character, I did get that same feeling I got with the past books. Yes, I do feel like Kiera Cass should have written just three books, but I did enjoy this book. I am not sure what rating to give this book. I feel like it's more of a 3,7/5? Let's just say it's a 3,5/5 stars.

Dominique
(I'm deciding on what book series to read next. Hard choices)





No comments:

Post a Comment