Sunday, April 30, 2017

Harry Potter 2: Chamber Of Secrets - J.K. Rowling

Gerelateerde afbeeldingGerelateerde afbeelding

The Dursleys were so mean and hideous that summer that all Harry Potter wanted was to get back to the Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. But just as he's packing his bags, Harry receives a warning from a strange, impish creature named Dobby who says that if Harry Potter returns to Hogwarts, disaster will strike.

And strike it does. For in Harry's second year at Hogwarts, fresh torments and horrors arise, including an outrageously stuck-up new professor, Gilderoy Lockhart, a spirit named Moaning Myrtle who haunts the girls' bathroom, and the unwanted attentions of Ron Weasley's younger sister, Ginny. But each of these seem minor annoyances when the real trouble begins, and someone, or something, starts turning Hogwarts students to stone....

Cover
Cute cover, not really impressive. I like the snake on the front, but it's kind of a spoiler? Anyways, there are so many covers for these book series, and the most recent ones are in my opinion the most beautiful.

Harry Potter
I liked him more in this book. I felt like I could connect to him more. He's still a bit dumb, in my opinion, and I'm more interested in other character's feelings, but I feel like because of him growing up and understanding more of the  Wizarding World, he's getting less and less boring. His relationship with Ginny is also evolving, which is fun to see cause they have no idea that they're going to have children later. 

Ron Weasley
God, Ron gets so much shit. His mother is constantly checking on him, he gets bullied for his hair and his wealth, but he could be a very powerful wizard. He is so overshadowed by his brothers too, I just wish that Ron would get more recognition as well. I love him, but as of now, his character is not special. I know that J.K. intended that this way, but I feel bad for him.

Hermione Granger
As always, she was her lovely self in this book again. She is one of my favourite characters in books. I can relate with her so much, she's a huge nerd and she loves books. She is also one of the sweetest characters I know, I'm so bummed that she didn't end up with Harry. 

Ginny Weasley
I love that she got more recognition in this book. She is definitely not my favourite character, but I am excited to see her go from having almost no recognition to being the main character's girlfriend. 
I felt really bad for her in this book, she gets made fun of for her crush on Harry, and she needed someone to talk to. Being the youngest in the Weasley-family is probably no fun and games. She could easily be abused, so that's what Voldemort did. 

Voldemort
Frankly, I did not think he was that horrible in this book. It might be because I have a huge crush on Tom Riddle, but what he did wasn't even that bad (for him). I know what he's going to do in the upcoming books though, don't get me wrong I know that he is horrible, but I just didn't get that feeling while reading it. I feel like the serpent was more exciting than Voldemort; although I do really love how Voldemort reached out to the world again (this time through his diary).

Ending, storyline, my experience
To be honest, the writing doesn't really grab me. I feel like I'm just reading these books because I have to. However, I do really want to continue reading this series, which is why I already have the 3rd book laying around. But if these books weren't so popular, I don't know if I would have wanted to continue. 

Overall it's a short but lovely story, just didn't find it as gripping as its prequel. I did love Lockhart though (shockinggg). 4/5 stars.

Dominique

No comments:

Post a Comment