Saturday, June 24, 2017

The Lunar Chronicles 2: Scarlet - Marissa Meyer

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor scarlet book coverAfbeeldingsresultaat voor scarlet book

Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She’s trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she’ll be the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive. 

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother’s whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.


Cover
While I do prefer Cinder's cover, I am again convinced that this cover suits the book. The font is lovely, and you can see that the book is about Little Red Riding Hood. Scarlet's red hair is also visible. I am not disappointed.

Scarlet
She was lovely. I was not let down by her. I have seen that most readers prefer reading about Cinder, but I like Scarlet way more. Scarlet is a little more romantic, and a little more daring. She is also family-oriented, I loved reading about the parts with her and her grandma. I found it a bit annoying that she fell in love with Wolf after knowing him for just one day, I do like them together. She does not let people walk over her, and neither does Cinder. Female characters in this book series are just amazing.

Cinder
I spot character development! I didn't love her in Cinder, but she was way more enjoyable in this book. I love her little discussions with Captain Thorne and I love how she is somewhat insecure about her body. She handles the news about Princess Selene well and I really love her for that. I honestly do not know if I love Scarlet or Cinder more in this book, cause every character in this book was just so good.

Wolf (Ze'ev Kesley)
Eh, I don't really know about him. While I trust him, I am not head-over-heels with him.I just do not like his past and what he believes in. I am just not a werewolf person (although I know that he is not a werewolf, he kind-of is). However, I like how he is willing to help Cinder and you can see that he really cares about Scarlet.  

The villain and the ending
Aaah, Levana, she is too interesting to hate, honestly? I want to know more about her, I want to know where she came from and how she became this way. Which is why after reading Cress, the series's third book, I am going to read Fairest.
Endings of books, both in Cinder and Scarlet, are honestly not that amazing? I expected both plot-twists, and both endings didn't grip me. I am scared for my lovely Kaito though, and I hope that they do more with him in Cress and Winter.

The only problem I have with this book series is that all the books are so long, definitely the third and the fourth book. I don't think that they have to be so long. Anyway, I really, really loved this book. This book was so much better than the first, 4.5/5 stars.

Dominique



No comments:

Post a Comment