Saturday, June 3, 2017

Percy Jackson and the Olympians 5: The Last Olympian - Rick Riordan

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor the last olympianAfbeeldingsresultaat voor the last olympian


All year the half-bloods have been preparing for battle against the Titans, knowing the odds of victory are grim. Kronos's army is stronger than ever, and with every god and half-blood he recruits, the evil Titan's power only grows. While the Olympians struggle to contain the rampaging monster Typhon, Kronos begins his advance on New York City, where Mount Olympus stands virtually unguarded. Now it's up to Percy Jackson and an army of young demigods to stop the Lord of Time. 

Cover
This is a very cute cover, like most covers in this series. But, like most covers in this series, they're not that special. I prefer the cover on the right as it looks newer and more spectacular.

Percy
I really enjoyed Percy in this book. I liked the River Styx idea and adding Achilles. Percy was more daring and way more confident than he was in the first book and so on. I liked how his relationship with Annabeth made such slow progress, and how we had to wait five books for an (official) kiss. The kiss was so cute too! I love my children!

Annabeth
I felt like Annabeth became herself again in this book. She got over Luke and because of this, she was more careless and lovely. She deserves so much, and I really liked the ending she got. She's been in love with Percy all this time, but I feel like she was afraid to admit it. I'm glad she did. I love her wisdom. She's no Hermione Granger, but she is still smart and great and I love how people need her help all the time.


The return of Thalia and Grover
Oh how I was glad to see them again! I really missed Thalia in the fourth book, and the Hunters are so interesting, Thalia is definitely one of my favourite female characters. I love Grover too, and he really deserved his ending. However, I'm a bit sad that we didn't see more of him with Juniper, as they are such a a cute couple.

Minor characters and additions
As I said before, I enjoyed the addition of Achilles. I was happy to see Mrs O'Leary again, because she's such a sweet.. dog?
Also, minor gods! Even though they didn't appear a lot, Morpheus and Nemesis were interesting, and I'd have loved to see more of them.

The climax
I really loved the building-up and the climax. I loved how so many creatures came together and worked together. Centaurs are such interesting creatures and including the statues was so smart! I love how Riordan comes up with all of these things (I know that he didn't make them, but he came up with the idea to use them in his book at a certain time). The ending was kind of sad but peaceful and expected at the same time. I was so happy when I found out what the Great Prophecy and all meant.

Writing style, my experience
I am in love with books like these. To make mythology your own and make it modern and interesting for people who are usually not interested in it is just amazing (I speak from experience, haha).
I love the moments where we can see that Percy is telling the story, and the little spoilers he gives always makes me laugh.


I have thouroughly enjoyed these series. I am not ready to say goodbye to them yet, which is why I'm reading Heroes Of Olympus (someday, I have a lot of series to read already...). I am almost sure that this is my favourite book of this series. 5/5 stars, it's so good...

Dominique
(Almost done with The Heir by Kiera Cass! Then I'm reading Prisoner of Azkaban :))




No comments:

Post a Comment