Sunday, December 6, 2015

The Fault In Our Stars - John Green



(summary on back)

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has brought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

Okay (cheeky pun), start judging me already. This was my first John Green book. A friend of mine kept pushing me into reading his books that I had to read them, and I obviously started with his signature book.

The cover isn't that special. When I see the book, I'd like to know what it's about. If I hadn't heard about the story yet, I'd probably think it's about space. Because, well, stars, clouds, space (on the Dutch cover). I knew it was about Hazel and her lung cancer who falls in love with this charming dude Augustus Fires (the name me and my friend gave him), but if I hadn't heard how amazing John Green was, I would have never picked up this book.

What a beautiful story, it completely changed my thoughts on life and made me question if I was whiny for wanting more when I had everything they wanted. It was really well written, sometimes a little bit too well that I had to grab my dictionary (Dutch girl reads English books problems), but I understood the story and I loved it. It was this mixture between sad, happy, funny, I laughed a couple times, but I also cried a couple times. I now know why John Green is seen as an amazing author, since he can mix humor in a book with sad parts and wow, he deserves a metal for that.

There is one thing though, and that's the fact that I don't understand poetry (not talking about a specific language, just in general), definitely not old-English poetry, and I don't know why everyone likes it so much (trust me, I've tried to like it). There were a few poems in this book that I just didn't understand, and I wanted to understand them because I liked the book so much, and now I just feel bad. Poetry is nothing for me, so that was something I didn't really enjoy. 

But overall, it's a beautiful story and I'll definitely read some of Green's work again sometime! 4,5/5 stars from me.

Extra: a movie has been made from this book (no, really?), check out the trailer here.

Okay? Okay.

Title: The Fault In Our Stars
Author: John Green
Publisher: Penguin Books
Age: 13+
Price (paperback): €14,99, $6,50
Pages (paperback): 310
ISBN: 978-0-141-35367-8

Dominique (@myxmasreading on Instagram)

No comments:

Post a Comment