Tuesday, December 22, 2015

The Mortal Instruments: City Of Bones - Cassandra Clare


When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder― much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing―not even a smear of blood―to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know... 


Okay, it's a nice cover, totally gives away the ambiance of the book, but I don't like it. I don't exactly know why, but this whole world Cassandra's created deserves way more than just a guy on a cover with the title on it. It didn't bother me much, cause I had the movie version (which is gorgeous).

 I liked the story, don't get me wrong, but I just don't get what all the fuzz is about. It was cheesy at times, the only thing I actually liked and didn't expect was the end and Malec (Alec and Magnus). I have watched the movie before, which I really enjoyed but of course spoiled the book for me. I have to stop doing that, cause it can literally ruin a book. 

So, Jace. Some may like him, some may hate him with their guts. I loved him! I love sassy characters, I love characters that act like they know no sadness and genually become more caring and -oh wow I did not expect that *sarcasm*- fall in love. You'll get to know him throughout the book, and find out he isn't so bad after all.

I love Magnus. Oh god, he's the best Warlock I've ever seen (half human/half demon). I wanted more of him, get to know his backstory, but you didn't get much of Magnus. I'm assuming it will be told in further books, so I'll read them to try and figure out who Magnus Bane really is.

I feel like it would have been better when the book was shorther and she saved something for City Of Ashes. Still, I really enjoyed this new world, one of the biggest franchises in YA culture. And with Shadowhunters (tv show on ABC Family/Freeform) coming I'll try and start City Of Ashes soon. 

I'll give this book 4/5 stars, it had nothing new, and I know I completely bashed this whole book, but I still feel like this is a must read for YA-fans.


Title: City Of Bones (Stad van Beenderen)
Author: Cassandra Clare
Series: The Mortal Instruments (Book 1)
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Age: 13+
Price (Hardcover): $15,35
Pages (paperback): 485

Dominique (@myxmasreading on Instagram)

No comments:

Post a Comment